A Disaster, a Survivor, and a New Life: A Call for New 10-Minute Plays
In conversation with Theater Alliance’s FLOOD CITY by Gabrielle Reisman, consider this:
A Disaster, a Survivor, and a New Life.
Write the 10-minute play of their re-invention, with no more than 3 characters, that exhibits the same sense of perseverance, fear, and hope as the characters within Flood City.
A bit more about Flood City:
In Johnstown, Pennsylvania in 1889, the Great Flood has decimated the vibrant steel town, leaving behind a ragtag crew of survivors, aid workers, and surveyors to assess the damage and speculate what, or who, could be responsible. A century later, at a bar in Johnstown, recently laid off steelworkers ponder their uncertain futures in a town when industry, and the world, seems to have left them behind. Traversing time and space, Flood City is a hopeful dark comedy about disasters, corporate (ir)responsibility, and a community’s resilience in the wake of the unimaginable.
TO SUBMIT: Email your materials to submissions@theateralliance.
com with the subject line: DISASTER – YOUR NAME. *Only electronic PDF submissions will be accepted.
Submission Deadline: Monday, May 21st, 2018 by 11:59pm EST Playwrights Announced: Tuesday, May 29th, 2018
Rehearsals TBD: Thursday, June 8th – Sunday, June 10th, 2018
Public Reading at the Anacostia Playhouse: Sunday, June 10th, 2018 at 7:00PM
Your play, file titled: YOUR NAME – TITLE OF PLAY.PDF
Your resume, file titled: YOUR NAME – RESUME.PDF
A 100-Word Summary of your play, file titled: TITLE OF PLAY – SUMMARY.PDF (ONLY PDFs will be accepted)
Keep in mind Theater Alliance’s mission: We develop, produce, and present socially conscious, thought-provoking work that fully engages our community in active dialogue.
1. You must be 18 years of age and have the right to work in the United States.
2. You must reside in the DC-Metro Area and be available for rehearsals to be scheduled between June 8th and June 10th, 2018, the public reading at the Anacostia Playhouse on Sunday, June 10th, 2018.
3. The play must be original and belong to you. Any non-original works will be disqualified.
4. No musical theater works will be accepted.
5. Only complete electronic submissions will be accepted.
6. Only one work may be submitted per playwright.