She Joins the Resistance! New 10-Minute Plays
In conversation with Theater Alliance’s THE RAID by Idris Goodwin, consider this:
A woman from any time period and inspired by the history of activism in the US. She joins today’s #Resistance in the midst of violence and fear.
Write the 10-minute play of her revolution, with no more than 3 characters, that exhibits the same sense of daring, risk-taking, and bravery as the characters within the play.
A bit more about The Raid:
“Would you die for your beliefs? Is it better to work within the system to change it or take up arms against the system to destroy it? Idris Goodwin’s The Raid is a fabulation of a debate between two American icons: White abolitionist John Brown and Black abolitionist and social reformer Frederick Douglass. On the eve of Brown’s raid on the federal armory in Harpers Ferry, these men argue the merits of violence and pacifism, order and chaos, and possibility of a nation free of the scourge of slavery. The Raid examines the difference between being an ally and an accomplice, the implications of race in social protest, and the limits of radicalism in the age of #Resistance.”
Email your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: #RESISTANCE – YOUR NAME. *Only electronic PDF submissions will be accepted.
- Submission Deadline: Monday, February 5th, 2018 by 11:59pm EST
- Playwrights Announced: Monday, February 12th, 2018
- Rehearsals TBD: Thursday, March 8th – Sunday, March 11th, 2018
- Public Reading at the Anacostia Playhouse: Monday, April 2, 2018
- Your play, file titled: YOUR NAME – TITLE OF PLAY.PDF
- Your resume, file titled: YOUR NAME – RESUME.PDF
- A 100-Word Summary of your play, file titled: TITLE OF PLAY – SUMMARY.PDF (ONLY PDFs will be accepted)
Keep in mind Theater Alliance’s mission: We develop, produce, and present socially conscious, thought-provoking work that fully engages our community in active dialogue.
1. You must be 18 years of age and have the right to work in the United States.
2. You must reside in the DC-Metro Area and be available for rehearsals to be scheduled between March 8th and March 11th, 2018, the public reading at the Anacostia Playhouse on Monday, March 12th, 2018, and the public reading at the Hill Center TBD.
3. The play must be original and belong to you. Any non-original works will be disqualified.
4. No musical theater works will be accepted.
5. Only complete electronic submissions will be accepted.
6. Only one work may be submitted per playwright.