Be a Part of the 5th Annual Hothouse New Play Development Series!
With the 5th Annual Hothouse New Play Development Series, Theater Alliance continues our commitment to fostering an environment that empowers artists to develop and grow their voices. A multi-faceted project, the Hothouse serves as an intellectual incubator—a place where local playwrights can nurture their ideas through collaboration with, and support from, our staff and artists.
Theater Alliance is currently seeking new plays by DC-Area Playwrights for Season 14’s iteration of the Hothouse. Theater Alliance will choose up to four (4) pieces, and provide each Hothouse playwright a director, a dramaturge, rehearsal space, and a group of actors to explore their work in-depth through a week-long rehearsal process that culminates in a pubic reading. The process is designed to engage audience and artists in conversation around the piece and provide early responses that will stimulate its continued development beyond the Hothouse.
Please submit your work by emailing your materials to email@example.com with the subject HOTHOUSE SEASON 14 – YOUR NAME.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, May 31st, 2016 by 11:59pm EST
Season 14 Hothouse Playwrights Announced: Monday, August 1st, 2016
1. Playwright’s Resume
2. An artistic statement discussing the play you wish to explore with us, and goals for further development (e.g. specific questions about the plot, story, characters, or themes). YOUR NAME – ARTIST STATEMENT.PDF
3. A PDF file of the script you wish you develop. Please title your PDF with YOUR NAME – TITLE OF PLAY.PDF
Please keep in mind Theater Alliance’s mission as you consider work to submit for development with us: We develop, produce, and present socially conscious, thought-provoking work that fully engages our community in active dialogue.
Please feel free to visit our website at www.theateralliance.com to read about previous seasons and our Hothouse series.
1. You must be 18 years of age and have the right to work in the United States.
2. You must reside in the DC-Metro Area, and be available for a full week of development in October (Tuesday-Monday). Specific weeks to be scheduled based on selected playwrights. Readings will be held on October 10, 17, 24, and 31.
3. The submitted play must not have had a professional production, or be scheduled for a professional production, prior to August 2017. A professional production is one in which the artists involved are compensated for their time and/or the theatrical elements are fully realized onstage. Scripts with previous staged readings are acceptable.
4. You may submit one original or adapted work. Adapted work, with source material not in the public domain, will only be accepted if the rights to adapt have been granted in writing. A copy of the rights must be provided to Theater Alliance at the date of submission.
5. We are only able to accept English language plays at this time. No musical theater works will be accepted for development within the Hothouse.
6. Only complete electronic submissions will be accepted.